Sunday, August 11, 2013

Hello Pacific Ocean!

As we get ready to begin week 3 of this awesome cross country adventure, here are some thoughts since my last post:

* Biking in San Francisco is no joke.  We biked over 20 miles from Fisherman's Wharf over the Golden Gate Bridge, into Sausalito, Mill Valley, and Tiburon.  It was intense at times and I definitely wanted to die, but it was worth it.  On the ferry ride back I rewarded myself with a cup of wine =)  Later that night we got seafood at R & G Lounge.  Oh yeah, and we also got to ride a cable car back to our hotel.  We weren't sure if we would be able to at first because it was so late, but turns out they run even that late, so yay us!  Overall the weather in San Francisco was cloudy, chilly, and misty (we had to have some gloomy weather at some point on this trip).  Oh yeah, and how could I forget our dream hotel, The Oasis, lol (inside joke).

* After San Francisco we drove to Los Angeles and Hollywood.  We did all the tourst-y things like checked out Grauman's Chinese Theater and Hollywood Blvd.  I took a picture of Art Carney's Star!  Hollywood reminded me of Times Square a lot, which wasn't a bad thing.  I could see myself going back to LA for a longer visit in the future.

* One thing I am for sure learning about myself from this trip is that I am much happier in cities than outdoors.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing outdoors-y things, but I think I am much more of a city girl than a country gal.

* I can't believe that half our trip has already gone by =(  Everyday just goes by faster and faster =(  I know we still have two weeks to go, but it seems like we just got started.  One thing I am also kinda regretting is how little time we are spending in each city.  I mean for the most part we are spending a night at each place and it's nice that we are seeing as much as we are, but I would love to stay at some places longer.  

* So we have been using Priceline.com to get our hotels on the road and in the beginning it was awesome (seriously our hotel in Chicago was a dream and we got it super cheap) but it had been going downhill since (just being a pain in the butt getting great deals) but that all changed Friday night when we got out room for San Diego.  We got a great deal at a decent place, you have no idea my relief!

*  Venice Beach and the Santa Monica Pier were fun in Los Angeles.  Another good reason to go back for a longer stay in the future.  Putting my feet into the Pacific Ocean in LA really signified the half-way point of this trip, even though time-wise we weren't there yet.  It was very symbolic to me to do that and say that I had made it from the East Coast to the West Coast.  I'll never forget it.

* On our nighttime drive from LA to San Diego down Route 101/ Interstate 5 we pulled over at one point and just looked up at the stars.  It was crazy because we were right by the water and between two cities, so the stars were really clear and it was nice just to be able to see them and compare them to my Sky Guide app.  

* And then we got to San Diego and I fell in love...

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment